Easy Lemon Drizzle Loaf Cake
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 200g self-raising flour
- Finely grated zest and juice 3 lemons
- 150g natural yogurt
- 110g granulated sugar
- Step 1 Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and caster sugar until pale and creamy (about 5 minutes).
- Step 2 Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in the flour and the zest of 2 lemons, then beat in the yogurt. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 50-55 minutes until golden and a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean.
- Step 3 Meanwhile, mix the juice of 2 lemons with 50g of the granulated sugar in a bowl or jug until the sugar has dissolved. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, poke holes all over the top with the skewer, then pour over the lemon mixture. Leave to cool in the tin, set on a wire rack.
- Step 4 After 20 minutes, mix the remaining lemon zest and juice and 60g granulated sugar, then spread over the top of the loaf. Leave the cake to cool completely on the wire rack, then turn out.
How to jazz up your loaf:
- Swap lemon zest for lime or orange zest.
- Flavour the crust with a little rosewater, then top with freeze-dried rose petals and pistachios
- Replace the sugar crust with a white glaze made with icing sugar and lemon/orange juice