Pasta with broccoli was a life saver for me as a mom when I was tying to get my kids to eat vegetables more. That’s how the love of spaghetti broccoli was born in our home. My kids loved them and I loved it for how delicious it was, and easy to make. Win-Win for everyone! Today I am sharing with you my quick and easy recipe for spaghetti broccoli – Sicilian Style.
A very tasty Sicilian pasta dish that is very easy to make
- 400 g Spaghetti
- 1 broccoli head
- 2 garlic cloves finely sliced
- 1 tbsp chilli (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp oregano dried
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 5 tbsp Extra Virgin(EV) olive oil
- 2 handful of grated parmesan
- Step 1 In a large pot, bring water to boil and add some salt. Add the spaghetti and cook for one minute less than the packet says. For example, if the packet says 10 minutes cook it for 9 minutes.
- Step 2 Now, cut the broccoli into small florets and them to the spaghetti water after about 2 minutes of putting the spaghetti in, and cook it together till the spaghetti is done.
- Step 3 Drain the spaghetti and broccoli and put them separately, but do not throw all the water away. Keep about 2 ladles full of the pasta water for later.
- Step 4 Take a frying pan and add the EV olive oil. Put in the garlic, chilli and the herbs. Once the mixture is sizzling, add the broccoli and mix them well together.
- Step 5 For extra rich taste, you can use a potato masher to mash up the broccoli mixture just a little bit. (this is optional and I like this version better).
- Step 6 Next, Add the spaghetti and the pasta water in to the pan. Toss it for a few minutes till everything is mixed thoroughly.
- Step 7 Take everything off the heat and add the parmesan cheese. Serve and enjoy.
Do you like pasta with broccoli? How did your Spaghetti Broccoli turn out to be? Let us know in the comments below.
Have you checked out our recipe for Spaghetti Marinara?